REDMAN, David J. (fl.1807-1823) — London
Lithographer. Produced by autography a plan of Bantry Bay 7 May 1808 — the earliest extant lithographic map; Plan of the town of Hastings for “Hastings guide : a concise historical and topographical sketch of Hastings, Battle, Winchelsea, and Rye”. Also known for views, etc.
The secret of Alois Senefelder’s invention of lithography was purchased by Colonel John Brown, Assistant Quarter Master General, from the German lithographer, Georg Johann Vollweiler, in August 1807. Redman, formerly employed by Vollweiler, then worked in a private capacity at the Quarter Master General’s Office 1808-1812. He moved to Bath in about 1813 to work with Thomas Barker, but returned to London in 1815. He was awarded the Silver Isis Medal of the Society of Arts in 1819 for a specimen of lithography executed on English stone (as opposed to the German stone generally favoured). Traded as “Redman & Sons” in later life. A similar Silver Isis Medal was awarded in 1839 to R. Redman, presumably one of the sons, for a method of making transfers from copperplate to stone or zinc.
Horse Guards, Whitehall — 1808-1812
15 Bishop’s Walk, Lambeth — 1815
26 Queen Street, Golden Square — 1815
45 Duke Street, Lincoln’s Inn Fields — 1819
33 Maiden Lane, Covent Garden — 1820-1823
33 Wych Street — 1823
BBTI. BM. COPAC. Twyman. Wallis & Robinson.